Rides on the Goodyear blimps are available at the invitation of the company only. Most of the lucky riders are Goodyear customers, winners of local charity auctions, local dignitaries, or members of the press.
If you have successfully arranged for a blimp ride, it is important that you read and follow these guidelines:
Flight Registration and Confirmation
- Rides aboard the Goodyear Blimp are by invitation only.
- All passengers who have received invitations to fly on the Goodyear Blimp must call and register with the airship base and be placed on the confirmed reservation list (in advance) in order to be cleared to fly.
- All passenger groups must call the Goodyear airbase the day of their departure to confirm their flight (weather can cause a cancellation)
- If your flight is cancelled due to weather, it will be reset for a later date based on the airship's schedule.
- Wear comfortable clothing.
- We strongly suggest footwear with good support and traction (e.g. tennis/running shoes). High heeled shoes and flip flops are prohibited!
- Dress for the prevailing temperature and weather conditions. The gondola is not pressurized and you will be embarking and disembarking outside in the open air.
- While children under four years of age are discouraged from flying on the Goodyear Blimp, exceptions can be made. This must be done prior to the date of the flight through the PR manager for the airship and with the pilot's approval.
- All children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult.
- All passengers 18 years of age or older must present a proper photo I.D. prior to boarding the airship.
Boarding and Exiting the Airship
- There is a small, five-step, vertical ladder attached to the bottom of the gondola that passengers must be able to ascend and descend in order to enter and exit the airship.
- The door to the gondola is 23 inches wide. Passengers must be able to easily fit through this narrow portal to enter or exit the airship.
- While on the ground the airship is subject to the prevailing winds and can therefore be quite mobile. This requires that all passengers be alert and follow the instructions (particularly during boarding and disembarking) in order to avoid any injury to themselves, the Goodyear crew, or the airship itself.
- The Goodyear Blimp has a varying lift capacity (depending on weather conditions). Therefore the pilot may need to reconfigure passenger groups in order to ensure a safe weight for both launching and landing.
- No more than six (6) passengers will be permitted per ride (regardless of size and/or weight).
Alcohol and Prescription Drugs
- It is strongly recommended that passengers refrain from using alcohol, or prescription drugs that might interfere with their motor skills or concentration in advance of taking a blimp ride.
- Cell phone usage on or around the Goodyear Blimp is prohibited.
Passenger Mobility Requirements
- All airship passengers must be fully ambulatory and without physical impairment(s) that could prevent them from moving quickly at the direction of the pilot or ground crew.
- All passengers must sign a "Release and Waiver of Liability and Indemnity Agreement" prior to boarding the airship.